Volume : V, Issue : III, May - 2021
Concurrent chemoradiation with Cisplatin is the standard of care in locally advanced head and neck cancer. The present study was done with Paclitaxel, a potent radiosensitiser in Cisplatin contraindicated patients. Fifty patients of non-metastatic locally advanced squamous cell carcinoma in whom cisplatin was contraindicated were divided into two arms. Arm 1 received weekly Paclitaxel 40mg/m2 along with External Beam Radiotherapy. Arm 2 received Ext RT only. In the combined arm 60% showed complete response (CR) whereas 20% had partial response (PR) with a total response of 80%. In the RT only arm 40% had CR and 20% had PR with total response of 60%. Grade II/III mucositis the major toxicity was seen in 88% cases in combined against 36% in the single arm. Concurrent Paclitaxel + RT showed excellent results with increased toxicity.
CONCURRENT PACLITAXEL AND RADIATION THERAPY IN CISPLATIN CONTRAINDICATED LOCALLY ADVANCED HEAD AND NECK CANCER - A PROSPECTIVE STUDY, DR RAJAT BANDYOPADHYAY, DR SUPARNA BANERJEE, INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ADVANCED MEDICINE : Volume-5 | Issue-3 | May-2021